Tuesday, July 8, 2008

La Pila

Somewhat curious -- I can´t view my own blog from down here. I suppose there´ll be time to figure that out later.

Spanish class is continuing on Tuesdays & Thursdays and I´m already getting sentimental about it. It´s been enjoyable. Our professor doesn´t pile on homework, and he´ll discuss a point for as much time as we need to understand it. I´ve never had a private tutor, but I imagine that it´s somewhat similar. I don´t want to give it up and return to classes of thirty.

Matt´s worked a lot on the gutters, and they´re finally going up. The PVC gutters are suspended on bent rebar right now, but they´ll soon be attached with attractive and non-rusting plastic supports. Matt, with some help, dug a ditch to run the rainwater from the gutters to a cistern out in the field.

The cistern, with a barbed wire ¨shirt of strength¨, began to rise from the ground yesterday and stands about five feet tall today. I´ve been helping to haul sand and mix cement. The plans are from Matt, CJ, and the Solar Center staff. Camilo, a local handyman/contractor/jack-of-all-trades, attached the rebar supports for the gutters and has been constructing the cistern from stones, bricks, barbed wire, and cement. It is a piece of art.

In the meantime, solar autoclave testing goes on.

Please pardon me for not responding to comments -- I can´t open the page to see them.
Try my email if you don´t like talking to a wall. Or feel free to post, secure in the knowledge that I shall not see the post for some time. Your choice!

Yours,
Pete

P.S. I shan´t mention your age, but happy birthday Aunt Sharon!

No comments: