Saturday, July 12, 2008

Los Cereales

It´s time to return to my staple food.

See if this phrase sounds familiar: ¨Siempre precios bajos. Siempre.¨
Roughly translated, it becomes ¨Always low prices. Always.¨
Don´t cry. Wal-Mart has infiltrated Nicaragua. They use the name Palí here.

How could we tell that it actually is Wal-Mart? Besides the slogan, ignoring the words ¨Wal-Mart Nicaragua¨ on some unopened boxes of merchandise, and discounting the ¨Wal-Mart¨ logo at the bottom of the Customers´Rights poster, I think it was the ¨Wal-Mart!¨ emblazoned on every employee´s nametag. Globalization strikes again, thinly veiled.

Pero a mí, no me importa. I need cereal with cold milk.
Globalization = path to Fruity Pebbles.

Frederlinda´s beside me in the Cyber, writing emails to past volunteers and friends. I´m the foreign Tech Support guy now. It´s pretty difficult. Fortunately, I´m right beside her and not in a foreign country. I can say ¨close the window¨ without waiting while curtains rustle.

Lori´s testing the solar autoclave today. It´s a nice day for it; the sun is shining and few clouds are in sight. I´ll be back to work this Monday, investigating retained heat cooking and testing the autoclave with Dan and Lori.

But now it´s time to buy Corn Flakes at Palí.

Yes, globalization has failed me; Fruity Pebbles never made it past the border.

Ciao!
Pete

3 comments:

Katie said...

you and your cereal....

Guess what though. I've actually gone most of the summer without eating much cereal and pasta for dinners. Impressive I know.
Do you think you've learned a lot from being down there? Engineering stuff I mean.
ttyl.
Kate

Drew said...

"Globalization = Path to Fruity Pebbles" really cracked me up.

Keep it chill down there. I will in the southern hemisphere.

Walter said...

hahahah damnit...Drew beat me to the line!

That's hilarious